And sometimes things just don’t go as planned. This can be very frustrating when you are focused on maxing out your fitness goals. Because let’s face it, success in anything you do requires a certain amount of consistency.
That’s why preparation is your best friend. Especially when it comes to a healthy diet (and mostly making sure you eat enough, often enough to keep your blood sugar stable, energy high, and prevent you from turning to foods that aren’t nutrient dense and aligned with your goals.
This means something different for everyone, but here are a few staples I always keep on hand and ready to go:
- Hard boiled eggs
- Liquid egg whites
- Cooked turkey breast or ground turkey patties (either in the fridge or ready for quick defrost in the freezer)
- A crunchy veggie like carrots or celery to snack on while I’m cooking food (when I’m famished) this helps keep my blood sugar up and give me something to mentally support hunger.
- Nut butter
- Protein Powder
- Sweet and baked potatoes (a quick microwave of these gives me some quick carbs)
- Cream of rice and instant oatmeal (same as above)
- Frozen veggies (to add some quick greens to meals)
- Lara Bars (great for on the road or travel as a back-up. I carry with a ziplock of protein powder. Grab a cup, crumble up Lara bar add protein powder and a bit of water and you have delicious cereal and a great snack)
I don’t personally like bars (other than the Lara Bars, which I use sparingly) or jerky, but those are other options many use successfully.
The most important thing is find what works for you and be prepared with things on hand. Know a lot of quick meals that you can make out of your essentials. And always reach for protein first.
What are your staples?