By Lisa Rhea
I’ll admit, oven dishes haven’t been my forte. I’m usually looking for something I can throw together quickly and have ready in twenty minutes. But I decided to give one-dish oven options a go, and am happy to say, I’m now a believer.
A little prep during my son’s nap, and later I just toss it in the oven for an hour, and dinner is served. And the best part – I’m able to use lower cost, lean cuts of meat and a healthy array of fresh vegetables.
This recipe will make you a believer as well. It’s loaded with flavor and packs a nutrient punch. This all-in-one dish is well-rounded and is sure to be a family pleaser.
Mediterranean Roasted Chicken and Vegetables
- 2-4 skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts
- 2 clementines, unpeeled, cut into slices
- 2 medium size sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 zucchini, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into bite size pieces
- 4 shallots, cut in half
- 1 can artichoke hearts
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- 2½ tsp fennel seeds
For the marinade:
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp grain mustard
- 3 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Combine the ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl or a Ziploc bag and set aside.
- Add the artichoke hearts, zucchini, bell pepper and shallots to the marinade, along with the chicken pieces, clementine slices, thyme, and fennel seeds. I separated the chicken and vegetables, simply because there wasn’t enough room in the bag for both. Likewise, I didn’t marinate the sweet potatoes, rather added them before baking. Marinate in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. If you don’t have time to marinate, then simply top the chicken and vegetables with the marinade before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 475F.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables into a roasting pan large enough to set everything in a single layer. I had to use two pans, although one is preferable. Place chicken breasts skin side up. Add the sweet potatoes.
- Roast for 45 minutes, until the chicken breasts reach internal temperature of 165F.
- Let set for 5 minutes and serve.