By Jaime Rice
A week or so ago I was speaking with a coworker and she was asking me about nutrition and what are some good foods for her to eat and keep on hand. I explained to her it all begins with breakfast and she started laughing. She confessed she rarely eats breakfast due to lack of time or not being hungry. At that point I jumped on my nutrition soap box and explained to her the importance of breakfast. I know I am not the first person to ever say this, but breakfast truly is the most important meal. There are countless benefits to eating breakfast and I am not going to list them all.
Instead I thought I could provide a list of simple and quick breakfast ideas that you can mix and match or pick and choose from to take the guess work out of what to eat. Even if you aren’t hungry right when you wake up, try and eat within an hour 1/2 of waking.
Some if these are grab and go and some require a little preparation. If you lack time in the morning, take 5 minutes before bed and make your breakfast for the next day. That will take away the “I don’t have time,” excuse. Here we go:
- Apple slices and Greek yogurt
- Banana, peanut butter and whole wheat toast.
- Oatmeal and 3 egg whites
- Oatmeal with berries (blueberries, strawberries, etc)
- Eggs, slice of cheese, and fruit
- Turkey bacon, eggs and wheat toast
- Frozen waffle with peanut butter and piece of fruit.
- Cheerios (cereal)–watch the serving size! Honey Nut variety is only 3/4 cup. I suggest regular Cheerios (serving size is 1 cup) with almond milk
- Protein Shake–from protein powder. The ready to drink shakes are more sugar than anything.
- English muffin and egg whites.
Here is a simple way to combine oats and eggs into a pancake.
pair with banana slices and one whole egg
All of these can be mixed and matched and you are certainly not limited to this list! All these items are staples in my kitchen that way I can throw a breakfast together fairly quickly. Be sure and check out The Athletes Kitchen for the best foods to keep in your pantry at all times.
Occasionally, some of your visitors may see an advertisement here You can hide these ads completely by upgrading to one of our paid plans.