By Laura Petrolino
You’d be amazed how handy something like this is, especially if you are trying to keep to your fitness goals, but also live your busy life.
A little over a week ago I was in Chicago for work. While the hotel I was staying at had an agreement with a gym a few blocks over– giving me access to a fully equipped gym while I was there– the Saturday I was leaving said gym didn’t open until later. Too late for me to get in a workout and still catch my plane.
Knowing that my antsy self really needed to get some energy out before being on a plane all day, I decided to improvise and put together a no-equipment workout to do in my hotel room.
Here’s what I did:
5 rounds of 20 each
- Walking lunges (20 per leg)
- Bench/Chair Dips
- Jump squats
- Lateral hops
- Bodyweight squats
Rest 60 seconds between each set.
I finished off with 10 minutes worth of planks: 40 seconds on/20 seconds off.
Modify. Time. Improve.
You can modify the movements and the rest time for your fitness level. But try to keep in mind the following:
- Time each round. Try to beat or meet your time for the previous round (this probably won’t happen– most likely you’ll slow down, but keep in mind speeding up or maintaining is the main goal.)
- Keep proper form a priority. If you aren’t sure how to do a move simply search for it on YouTube and you’ll find many different examples.
- Breath. Don’t hold your breath (which sounds silly, but you’d be amazed how many people do this without knowing it.)
- Keep your core tight. You should feel your abs and core engaged the entire time.
And most of all, have fun (well as much fun as you can have doing burpees!)